Highlights of Antarctica
Discover the wonders of the seventh continent
- 12-day expedition cruise, starting in Argentina's capital, Buenos Aires, flying to Ushuaia and then onwards to Antarctica in the summer months.
- Experience a concentrated expedition cruise that’s all about the frozen continent
- Discover Antarctica's wildlife as we spot seals, penguin colonies and spot whales against backdrops of staggering natural beauty
- Join the Expedition Team as they deliver lectures and accompany landings, sharing their knowledge on glaciology, wildlife, climate change and polar exploration.
It's a busy time for the wildlife of Antarctica between November and March. In October and November, penguins court and nest, while December and January are when penguins hatch. February and March offer peak whale-watching opportunities.
Advertised pricing is correct as of 12 February 2024 based on a Polar outside cabin departing 16 November 2024, other departure dates and cabin types avaliable.
CLICK HERE and contact your closest Phil Hoffmann Travel store to find out more!
- Overnight stay in a hotel in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- International flights in economy class between Adelaide and Buenos Aires
- Flights in economy class between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Transfer from the hotel to the airport in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise
- Transfers between the Ushuaia airport and the ship, including a brief tour of the town
- A stay in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages* in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary wi-fi onboard
- Complimentary reusable water bottle
- English-speaking Expedition team who organise and accommpany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- In-depth lectures and discussions hosted by experts on the Expedition Team
- Full use of our Science Center, small library and advanced biological and geological equipment
- Citizen Science programme where you can assist with ongoing scientific research
- Photography tips and techniques for capturing landscape and wildlife from our onboard professional photographer
- Use of ship's hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew for daily briefings
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers on hand to assist you
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please make sure you meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities expected
What's not included:
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
Day 1 & 2: Fly - Adelaide to Buenos Aires
Your flight from Adelaide takes you to Buenos Aires, where you'll have two overnight stays. Buenos Aires is the ideal way to start your Antarctic adventure. Home to a proud and diverse community of porteños, or ‘people of the port’, this city is a sensuous fusion of faded European splendour and Latin American panache. There are plenty of places to explore, including many parrillas serving authentic Argentine steak. Or maybe you’d like to practise your dance moves in the famous hometown of the tango. Why not consider arriving a few days early to see all this vibrant city has to offer, or explore the region on our optional Pre-Programme.
Day 3: Early start in Ushuaia
Setting off at the bottom of the world
Your adventure begins with an early morning flight to Ushuaia, where you’ll meet our hybrid-powered expedition ship, specially designed for sustainable cruising in polar waters. This bustling port is the capital of Argentina’s Tierra del Fuego Province. Set against the magnificent backdrop of the Martial Glacier, Ushuaia vies for the title of the world’s southernmost city.
After a briefing from your Expedition Team, you’ll have time to locate your cabin and explore the comforts and amenities on board.
Days 4-5: Get set for Antarctica
Cross the Drake Passage
On the two-day crossing through the Drake Passage, the Expedition Team will equip you with all you need to make the most of your polar expedition.
Visit the onboard Science Center and find out what lies ahead. Listen to experts talk passionately about Antarctica’s history, the science beneath the ice, and the impact of climate change and plastic pollution. You'll learn how to make your visit as safe and as low-impact as possible, and about the Citizen Science projects you can join.
There's plenty of time to relax, so unwind in the spa and wellness area, enjoy some delicious cuisine and meet fellow travellers in the Explorer Lounge & Bar.
Days 6-10: Antarctica - another world
Experience Antarctica in all its natural majesty
Nothing prepares you for your first sight of Antarctica’s immense, frozen beauty. Surrounded by looming glaciers, and icebergs the size of floating cathedrals, Antarctica will fill you with wonder. Perhaps the most surprising part of Antarctica is the silence. It's a stillness that's broken every so often by the locals – the wildlife.
Whales begin to arrive in greater numbers by December and January. This is also when the first penguin chicks hatch and seeing the clumsy clumps of feathers run around is always a charming sight. February and March offer peak whale-watching opportunities, when large amounts of krill lure them to the area.
Here, nature is king, and we are mere observers. Our experienced Captain will continually monitor conditions to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure. Rest assured, each day will offer something different and thrilling.
You'll join the Expedition Team on landings and ice-cruises, and may even get a chance to go kayaking among the icebergs.
Back on board, the Expedition Team will continue their lectures, helping you grow in your insights of the frozen continent. Over five magical days, you'll experience this amazing world in a way that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Days 11-12: Returning to warmer waters
Heading back north across the Drake Passage
After five incredible days, you’ll have experienced so much in Antarctica. Your head will likely be filled with a swirling kaleidoscope of special memories and impressions. The next couple of days will be a chance to reflect on your adventure to the seventh continent.
As your mind tries to conjure up the magical Antarctic scenery, now could be a good time to sift through your photos and videos to recapture a sense of its magnitude. Why not take the chance to unwind in the sauna, or enjoy a few relaxing spa treatments in the wellness area.
Day 13-15: From Buenos Aires to to Adelaide
Your expedition cruise ends in Ushuaia, the main city in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina’s southernmost province. From here, you’ll take a flight back to Buenos Aires for an overnight stay. After breakfast the following day, you’ll be transferred to the airport in Buenos Aires to take your flight back to Adelaide.